Saturday, October 1, 2011

Not Just Hiking - September 2011

BOOKS
Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis
Lewis is a constant favorite. I am never disappointed.

What Was She Thinking [Notes on a Scandal] by Zoe Heller
I am not sure about this one. I didn't like either/any of the characters, and I didn't "enjoy" the book. But I couldn't wait to get back to it. And I learned a new word - incubus - which I think, upon reflection, is the perfect word to describe the older character.

Until Tuesday by Luis Montalvan
An impulse pick from the library. I love Golden Retrievers. Mine is better looking than his.

My Reading Life by Pat Conroy
I have never read Mr. Conroy's fiction. If it is as poetic and lyrical as his description of his life in books I might have to give his other works a try. But my mind is reeling and I am lost as to where to begin now. Dylan Thomas. Tolstoy. Mitchell. Marquez. I want to read everyone one of them - for the first time or again.

The Fellowship of The Ring by J.R.R. Tolkein
Oh how I wished I could like Mr. Tolkein's worlds and works as much as I love Mr. Lewis'. I feel like I should like them more. Maybe the movie version will help me?

The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction by Alan Jacobs
This bored me. I read the first half and skimmed the rest. Back to the library for this one.

The Hours by Michael Cunningham
Page by page my feelings for this book changed. I alternately liked it and then didn't. I figured out early on who everyone was, yet I was surprised by the end and surprisingly satisfied.

MOVIES
Das Rheingold - Wagner
Going 'upstream" from Lewis and Tolkein.

No comments: