Sunday, March 11, 2012

Questioning What is To Come

We have had a great weekend - day 8 of skiing in 6 inches of powder. My kids discovered the terrain park and survived without a trip to the emergency room. J is conquering his fear of the more difficult hills. Either that or he has decided it isn't that un-cool to ski with your parents.

Spring is here with temperatures in Calgary forecast to be in the 40s or 50s for the next few weeks.

We love it here and are making big plans for the summer.

Yet there is a huge question mark looming on our horizon.

After nine months of daily struggle, it has become clear that my husband can no longer work for his current boss. Not just can't, but won't. Not even a question in his mind. Not even a question in my mind.

We have options in the company. You don't work somewhere for 15 years and not have friends and connections. We are also considering choices outside the company. Nothing will happen tomorrow. I doubt anything will happen this week. But who knows where we will be in a month.

Here is the thing. There is some anxiety. Of course I am worried about the boys, especially J who did not do very well with the last move and is finally comfortable. But there is more excitement. If you were in your mid-40s and could start fresh what would you do? Where would you move? What would you become?

Needless to say, these are interesting times.

2 comments:

Girl Detective said...

What an uncomfortable place to be. A friend once advised me to ask, "What would I do if I could do anything?" it had never occurred to me to even consider that. Since then, I often use that question and work backwards, going from the ideal to the best possible real.

I _am_ in my mid 40s, and have no need of starting fresh. I'm ridiculously lucky to be perfectly happy where I am. It might not last, but I'm going to enjoy the ride while it does.

Book Dragon said...

I'm thinking it's a scary place to be. As well as exciting.

keep us posted :)


oh, great skiing is great skiing even if your parents are there.