Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Happy Birthday

My best friend's little girl turns two tomorrow. I was there when she was born and I was there when her older brother was born. My friend was there when J was born and when M was born. She was there when Charlie died and and she was there when Charlie was born. Because my husband was on the other side of the world that day, she sat on my sofa and held my hand. She didn't say anything. She didn't need to.

She was there when the doctor told me that M might be suffering form a massive brain tumor at the age of 6 months. She sat with me when I took him to have an ultrasound that would determine the course of my amazing little boys life. She cried the same tears of joy that I did when they told me that he just has a big head. Then we laughed.

She and her very funny husband celebrated our anniversary with us at the most amazing dinner we have ever eaten. She helped me celebrate my 30th which was a disaster and she single-handedly planned my 40th which was one of the best nights of my life.

She waved goodbye when we moved to Asia and she was the first one to greet us when we came back. She is the very first person I will visit on my way home from Canada.

She is closer to me than my sister. She is the person that, if anything should happen to us, we have chosen to raise our kids.

I know, you thought this post was about a little girl's birthday. It is. Happy Birthday C. I want you to know that you are gifted every day with an amazing mother. I miss you and your big brother. I would give just about anything tomorrow to run over to your house and give you a big kiss and hug.

But I miss your mom more.

No comments: